Merlin333 Poker Forum
Merlin333 Poker Forum
Merlin333 Poker Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Online No Limit Poker Player's Forum

HomeHome  InFoPageInFoPage  Latest imagesLatest images  GalleryGallery  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  No Limit PokerNo Limit Poker  

Here we go again - not here...

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Merlin333
Merlin333
Merlin333

Male
Number of posts : 355
Jon Holt : Jon /Merlin333
Registration date : 2008-04-18

Here we go again - not here... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Here we go again - not here...   Here we go again - not here... I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 08, 2009 3:37 am

dkinchi wrote:
Hey Merlin, love the site! I have no problem with you, and to tell you the truth I have been on a few tables with you recently (I'm highlowornobluffer on Carbon) and you seem like a good player and a decent guy.

I received your newsletter a few days before the tournament and figured I would jump on the chatbox an hour or so before the tournament. When I tried to go to the chatbox however it was not functioning. No big deal, so I downloaded the toolbar. But after the toolbar was installed, it was not functioning properly either. It did install, but the scrollbox was completely blank (It is working today of course, but was not last night I swear).

Sooooo...... I have to admit it was frustrating. I didn't whine or accuse you of anything publicly, but I did PM you regarding the problems and recieved a PM back to re-read the newsletter (Slightly offensive as I have no problem reading). This is where I would have appreciated a different course of action. When there are technical difficulties with the mode of obtaining the PW that was employed, I feel it would be common courtesy to give it to people that PM you to let you know they are having problems (Preferably with an apology for the problem) and/or post it in the general forum. I understand that you want to drive revenue through the toolbar, and boost use of the chatroom, but if those methods are encountering problems it seems fair to your members to post it publicly.

dkinchi

Thanks for this input too. I want to address you comment about it "seems fair for members to post publicly".

I wholeheartedly agree and expect members to post their comments pro or con. God knows I've posted things that people have fairly commented as combative.

I am a writer by profession. I used to be with NBC and since starting to play poker I have written blogs on sites that cheated players as a result of still being friends with several researchers there I have posted things I have been threatened about and so on - (Google RossoPoker Merlin333) - a shady pokersite that seemed to vanish after I exposed their intentions and inability to allow players to cash out and advertised (non-existence) associations with legitimate firms) God knows I've had many a back and forth with players posts. I think it's necessary,fun and instructional for all - in fact my efforts are more directed at getting members to blog more, make more posts than anything. But being a member of many forums I, like everyone, can tell the difference between people being [properly] ticked and people posting lies and smartass false accusations. It is rational and I would be ticked if, when I expected to play I could not. I'm in a forum that has cancelled games, I think the all do from time to time. It seems there is often someone who takes it personally and writes inflammatory blogs about the incident but I can't imagine that I, except if I have a case of extreme stupidity, start writing blogs about how I'm being cheated (unless I have facts to support it). Of course they're not crashing their games to prevent me from playing - come on - is that stupid or is it me!

More often than not,,if you check, you can easily find blogs of this character by people who tend to make these conclusions and blog about them.

My reason for commenting at all is not because I don't think players might be upset for not being able to play or to inhibit feedback that may illluminate the problem or issue - not the case at all. I welcome it but I won't allow liars and fools to accuse me of something I didn't do and would be stupid to even consider that's all. There are plenty of players here I've had differences and even arguments with - I'm always up for a "vigorous exchange of differences". Wink

I happen also to feel that site owners should state their position of such members instead of letting the atmosphere be ruined by them. I don't mind a good fight but I don't want new members to be inhibited because these people might make such comments about them. Haven't you seen sites where a member makes a post then several self proclaimed "experts" write nothing but a bunch of "you're an idiot" posts? I have and I don't want that here.

Merlin333 Cool
Back to top Go down
dkinchi
Apprentice
Apprentice
dkinchi

Male
Number of posts : 6
Favorite Poker Site and Achievement : Carbon 1st Place Omaha Tournament
Registration date : 2009-02-27

PostSubject: Re: Here we go again - not here...   Here we go again - not here... I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 08, 2009 12:17 am

I appreciate your candor Merlin!

Best of luck for smooth sailing from here on out!! Very Happy

Look forward to seeing you at the tables!!

DK
Back to top Go down
Merlin333
Merlin333
Merlin333

Male

PostSubject: Re: Here we go again - not here...   Here we go again - not here... I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2009 11:03 pm

highlowornobluffer,

Thanks for the response. I do remember you from the table and my impression is favorable as well. One thing I did not mean to convey if I did - I completely believe people who say they had problems.

The reason you see the password today is that we let it "stick" to see whether people see it today who didn't yesterday.

I responded with a blanket PM because (and I didn't know this until I started this forum) just before game time the PM box is inundated with traffic from members and people just wanting passwords. There is no way to effectively go through them all and try to respond sensibly.

On the issue of "driving revenue" (most forums wont even discuss this. So far my forum supports itself by software downloads and deposits (I also work -lol) - my info banner page is in Goggle so new players can access the banners to play without having to be a member - this creates revenue. I would rather the forum itself no have people who only want software or just want passwords. During the games I've had I'm experimenting with the most efficient way to dispense the password and prevent pw thieves from getting it. Why yesterday was problematic for some and easy for others is a mystery there are more toolbars at use here than there are registered members. The Conduit toolbar is very widespread - I have made no changes to it except to add my forum . Except for the fact our system shows a lot of accesses by people with outdated software I am not sure - neither is Conduit.

I can see from what you have written you are not one who tried nothing but to PM for passwords - WHICH WAS A LOT OF PLAYERS.

My intent was not to be offensive or to imply that anyone could not read with the PM but today scanning the PM's about 80% were "where is the PW"."Did I qualify for the PW", there were problems with 3 people I know to have broken English but the majority were people who clearly didn't read the Newsletter or attempt to use the tool bar or attempt to access the Chatbox (we tracked ISP attempts).

I plan to use it more in the future (hopefully with no problems) and trust me to make any worhtwhile money with the toolbars you have to have a lot more members than I have using it for many things all of the time. We're just trying to make the forum useful - I don't see that Ill become Bill Gates with it - lol.

Basically it's comprised of information, things and people I sought when I started - sometimes with difficulty.

I appreciate the feedback. With more intelligent and communicative members like you (and almost all of the members here) I'll get there.......

Merlin333 Cool
Back to top Go down
dkinchi
Apprentice
Apprentice
dkinchi

Male
Number of posts : 6
Favorite Poker Site and Achievement : Carbon 1st Place Omaha Tournament
Registration date : 2009-02-27

PostSubject: Re: Here we go again - not here...   Here we go again - not here... I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2009 10:12 pm

Hey Merlin, love the site! I have no problem with you, and to tell you the truth I have been on a few tables with you recently (I'm highlowornobluffer on Carbon) and you seem like a good player and a decent guy.

I received your newsletter a few days before the tournament and figured I would jump on the chatbox an hour or so before the tournament. When I tried to go to the chatbox however it was not functioning. No big deal, so I downloaded the toolbar. But after the toolbar was installed, it was not functioning properly either. It did install, but the scrollbox was completely blank (It is working today of course, but was not last night I swear).

Sooooo...... I have to admit it was frustrating. I didn't whine or accuse you of anything publicly, but I did PM you regarding the problems and recieved a PM back to re-read the newsletter (Slightly offensive as I have no problem reading). This is where I would have appreciated a different course of action. When there are technical difficulties with the mode of obtaining the PW that was employed, I feel it would be common courtesy to give it to people that PM you to let you know they are having problems (Preferably with an apology for the problem) and/or post it in the general forum. I understand that you want to drive revenue through the toolbar, and boost use of the chatroom, but if those methods are encountering problems it seems fair to your members to post it publicly.

dkinchi
Back to top Go down
Merlin333
Merlin333
Merlin333

Male

PostSubject: Here we go again - not here...   Here we go again - not here... I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2009 6:49 pm

Thanks for those of you who logged in early, read the newsletters through the week and worked out problems before the game and played. I regret that some who wanted to play could not because of technical reasons. We have 6 PC's running various setups and browsers and the only problem we uncovered was that during testing we sent an early incorrect password (uncovered by another member) that was corrected and resent. The member who discovered it received the correct PW and played in the game.

Now I'm not one to obsess about anything. I am a member of several other forums and there are occasionally issues- technical and otherwise. To my knowledge none of these issues are on purpose; or because someone is "picking on me". Far too often these incidents are followed by post after post of accusations. Those of you who know me from my membership in other forums doubtless have witnessed my "counter blogs" to various namecallers, whiners and bullies. You no doubt know I think very little of such "persons".

After all why would a forum owner purposefully single me out? What's in it for them? Likely nothing. Well yesterday two members made public posts claiming the problems were a result of me "making the game available to my friends Real men (I say men because seldom is this type of communication initiated by women)don't publicly whine and make unsubstantiated remarks - just punks.

This is a remark that is both a lie, said by liars and anyone who knows me a little knows it's a lie. This is a small forum every member was initially asked because they were friends or I respected them or their play and I assume people they invited are the same. I was once in a forum that had members search for passwords the day of the game rather than write childish remarks I quit. I don't give "loyalers" early pw's or specials I treat everyone as I like to be treated fairly and even-handed - everyone. I suggest anyone who thinks I would set up a tournament and make it difficult for some members to play should just quit - I have no ill will if that's your choice - those who stay won't have to put up with members such as this - not here. One said I did it to charge members - anyone who I have charged anything or have sent me a cent I will repay you whatever the charge times a million. This stuff is so childish, ignorant and untrue I feel stupid in rebuttal and seems typical to me of players who always cry "this site is rigged" on the way to the losers lounge after chasing a 1 outer to the river. A friend and owner of another larger forum than mine said it would come to this. Well it won't last. I have often felt that I shouldn't have to put up with childishness on other forums. There I can do nothing about it and frankly I wonder why they don't either. I'm a big boy and can take care of myself but you who decide to stay can be sure you won't have to bother.......

Finally I apologize to 99 percent of you who have to listen to this. Imake it my business that you can write what you like and not have to listen to bs like this from punks like this of which there appears tobe far too many online. I have said many times anonymity allows some people to easily fabricate things, show their cowardice, lack maturity and common sense to say things "long distance" they couldn't get away with in person.

I have one final suggestion. Sometime your personal setup virus programs etc prevents or inhibits some actions. Most email spam protections disables links (in this case add the forum to safe email senders). Our records show that 10% of the people who tried to get in either have an outdated browser, Java or Flash. These are the programs that enable the Toolbar or your PC to execute functions locally and on the internet. Using outdated components will not only make your PC insecure and likely to be security-compromised, run slowly subject to viruses and various other undesirable things. It is the exact same browser as Rounders Radio if you have it mine should run also.

You can update much of these programs in the forum category:

https://merlin333.forumotion.com/feedback-new-features-f14/browser-information-t158.htm

PS. to show I'm not a total asshole I'm posting this comment in my blog and feel free to weigh in on this matter if you want. I'm always open to suggestion and constructive input - no lies and accusations - they'll be erased. For the record this note is prompted by 3 members. This makes the point I've made at other forums I'm in the few always make waves for the many. IT IS A FACT THAT THE OVERWHELMING MAJORITY OF THE MEMBERS HERE HAVE MADE THIS A POSITIVE EXPERIENCE - and I appreciate it. As always I guess I just can't hold my tongue when liars and fools start something (OK I know now I'm a namecaller - naaaa just an observation

Merlin333 Cool
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Here we go again - not here...   Here we go again - not here... I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Here we go again - not here...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Merlin333 Poker Forum :: DISCUSSION & BLOGS :: Merlin Blog's (in their entirety) :: Merlin Blog's ......-
Jump to: